"With the eCl@ss classification we deliver the fundament. We provide a sound basis for optimizing business processes – throughout the entire product life cycle and in communication with our customers and suppliers."
With the Siemens e-Content Classiicaion Portal a central product master data server was introduced for an power industry-wide uniform and cross-system-covering classiicaion as well as the descripion of product master data and structures.
The implementaion of eCl@ss began in 2009 in parallel with the irst steps of the process harmonizaion within the central SAP soluion in the division for industrial energy applicaions and oil & gas. Each site had its own data structures and associated specialized search algorithms, resuling in data conversions for product shits between individual plants. A lot of informaion (etc. drawings, data sheets, catalogs) could only be found only in secondary data sources. Some individual plants had their own legacy classiicaion system which were designed based on diferent criteria. A cross-site search in diferent systems was not possible.
The use of the eCl@ss standard enables the electronic product data exchange with suppliers to acquire catalogs as well as the transfer of data to customers.
The “Siemens E-Content Classiicaion portal” has the following funcions:
- Central product master data server to build a uniied classiicaion structure based on eCl@ss
- Limitaion of eCl@ss classes to the actual required classes and, if required, extension by one's own classes
- Establishing and maintaining class-speciic templates to deine the (varying) descripion depth of the material master data through target systems (SAP, Teamcenter)
- Provision of material classiicaion and descripion informaion for other enterprise applicaions (e.g. Comos, TDM etc.)
- Mulilingual terminology database for nomenclature catalogs and lists of values
- Support for automaically upgrades to higher eCl@ss releases
- Reference system for the adopion of catalog data from suppliers
- Platform for handling change processes and information improvement of classification, material description and terminology.
Through the implementaion of eCl@ss challenges such as the reducion of high site-speciic maintenance workloads for material master data, were mastered successfully. The comparability of informaion with a standardized interpretaion and the uniqueness of classes and atributes names were further posiive results. Also the increase in product data quality and transparency of data led to the reducion of duplicates. With the help of eCl@ss processes could be uniied and it helped reducing the complexity of muli-site product documentaion.
Thanks to long-standing service contracts with customers (up to 30 years) the introducion of eCl@ss leads into a highly sustainable savings potenial.